It’s hard to believe that in 2017, Sea Sessions Surf Music Festival will celebrate its 10th anniversary. First held in September 2007 the festival has grown from welcoming a few hundred people to regularly welcoming and selling out to 5000 right on the beach front.
As we look forward to this year’s event in June, here’s our Top 10 Sea Sessions headliners from the past 9 years:
- 2016 – Gavin James – the gentle giant from Dublin is taking over the world – he took over the Main Stage on the Friday night of last year’s Sea Sessions and had the crowd in his hands
- 2016 – Tinie Tempah – What a show from this guy – rumour has it he was back on his private jet to London before the night ended in Bundoran but he was one of the highlights of 2016!
- 2015 – Seasick Steve – this was one artist that the team had been after for a long time and 2015 was to be the year of this legendary artist gracing the Main Stage in Bundoran
- 2014 – The Dandy Warhols – an inspired booking and proof that small festivals can attract the big guys. If we had been seated we would have been on the edge of our seats waiting on their big hit Bohemian Like You!
- 2014 – The Strypes – the musical foursome from Cavan who were all younger than 18 at the time took over the stage as if they’d been performing for at least 20 years. With such stage presence they won the crowd over with the first strum of their guitars.
- 2013 – Bastille – between these guys being announced and them actually playing at Sea Sessions they managed to propel themselves into the musical stratosphere with their big hit Pompeii.
- 2012 – President Michael D Higgins – ok, not so much a musical guest but a pretty big deal all the same. The newly elected President of Ireland made good on his campaign trail promise to come back to visit the festival should he be elected. He gave a resounding speech in support of Sea Sessions and Irish music in general.
- 2012 – The Coronas – one of Ireland’s biggest bands of recent years saw a packed out Main Stage tent on the Saturday night in 2012. Heroes or Ghosts was the song that won the crowd over! Hopefully they’ll play it again when they headline this year!
- 2011 – Ziggy Marley – son of the renowned Bob Marley, Ziggy took to the Main Stage on the Sunday night in 2011 wrapping up another top weekend event that had seen the likes of Bell X1, Villagers and The Minutes also performing.
- 2010 – Fun Lovin Criminals. No words needed…!
- An extra one for good measure! 2010 – Paul Weller – He certainly did something to us that night.