Two women were rescued at Main Beach
The Church of Ireland at the Bridge was built. It was designed by William Hagerty who helped to design St Anne’s Church in nearby Ballyshannon.
Bundoran Lodge constructed by Viscount Enniskillen as a holiday home. The building still stands to this day and is known as Viscount Lodge on Bayview Avenue.
The first official record of Bundoran is in a deposition by Hugh Gaskein on 16 May 1653. He was a witness to events during the 1641 Rebellion when he was an apprentice butcher in Sligo. In 1689 a skirmish was fought near Bundoran between a Jacobite force under Sir Connell Ferrall and the retreating Protestant garrison of Sligo.
What would become one of the most famous ballrooms in the country, The Astoria, opened its doors for the first time. It would host nightly dances as well as national and international musical acts like The Kinks, Thin Lizzy and Meatloaf.
The Church of our Lady Star of the Sea was built by Canon Francis Keleghan and the local Gilroy Brothers. The church was solemnly blessed and opened by the Most Rev. Charles McNally DD on August 15th 1859.