The Allingham Festival returns with live events and full-capacity venues in 2022, bringing an outstanding programme of literary celebrities, musicians, speakers and performers to Ballyshannon. From November 2-6, Festival-goers will meet:
- Booker-Prize-shortlisted author Claire Keegan (Small Things Like These, Foster), in conversation with RTE’s Sinéad Crowley.
- Popular actor Ian McElhinney (Derry Girls, Game of Thrones, Stones in His Pockets), in an interview featuring highlights of his film, stage, and television career.
- Musician-artist David Rooney in concert, featuring singer Chanele McGuinness
- Keynote Speaker Dr Tony Bates, Psychologist, asking “Are We All Mad?” and challenging the medicalisation of everyday life.
- The Festival Launch with Gerry Moriarty, former NI Editor of The Irish Times
- The Emerson Lecture with Anthony Begley: “The Kindly Spot, the Friendly Town”
- The History Ireland Hedge School – “Donegal in the Civil War”.
- BIRD ON THE WIRE – an unforgettable concert of the songs of Leonard Cohen, featuring Pauline Scanlon and The Whileaways – SOLD OUT
According to 2022 Allingham Festival Director Emer O’Shea, “We’re delighted to offer live events in full-capacity venues in November. This year’s programme promises an exciting week of in-person activities for everyone.”
New events in the 2022 Allingham Festival will include:
- Little Top Stars – a workshop of circus skills for children, including spinning plates, juggling, giant bubbles and Diabolo.
- The return of the Ballytour street theatre, with stories and performances by “Literary Ladies of the North West”.
- “Step In” – historical drama by Winifred McNulty.
- “A Dunduckedy Mudcoloured Evening” – dramatic sketches based on James Joyce’s Ulysses.
- A performance by the Ballyshannon Brass and Reed Band.
Book launches at the Festival will include:
- Ireland’s Secret War, by Mark McMenamin.
- Cold-Water Eden, by Richie Fitzgerald.
- Donegal – The Irish Revolution, 1912-23, by Pauric Travers.
- The Sound of Water Searching, by Michael O’Dea.
- Between the Jigs and the Reels (revisited), by Caoimhín MacAoidh.
Traditional Allingham Festival events will include:
- Open Mic – music and craic at McIntyre’s Pub.
- Primary and Secondary Schools’ Competition Awards in Poetry, Flash Fiction and Art (on-line).
- Adult Poetry and Flash Fiction Competitions Awards Ceremony (on-line).
- The Book Fair by A Novel Idea.
- A Children’s Art Workshop.
- “Gather Again” – open mic recitations on Sunday morning.
- The Sunday Evening Concert in St Anne’s Church.
Times and locations of the 2022 Allingham Festival programme events, and on-line booking links, are found at www.allinghamfestival.com.
The Bundoran Weekly Podcast
Check out the latest episode of our weekly podcast below! To find out more click www.bundoranweekly.com